Those Doggy Eyes



I was little... and in Aurangabad at my Mama's place.
He had recently bought two pups and I was all excited on seeing them.
We love dogs.. the entire family. :)
One was a jet-black Labrador... a regal fellow with an apt name- Commander.
The other was an Alsatian and joyful in every sense- Bruno.

I loved them both. Commander somehow was serene and seemed more intelligent. He always found himself the best place to sit, best place to sleep and Bruno never used to mind.
Both were dogs and both were pretty fun to be around with.
I loved their eyes... full of trust and frank curiosity.
And little pink tongues which got larger with months. :)

Commander died soon after.
His death was a nasty shock.
It was on the day we were leaving Aurangabad for my place..
He was sitting in the living room... and was slightly ill..
I remember holding the Black Lab's head in my hands, looking in those dark brown eyes and telling him firmly to get better. I had told him that I wanted to see him running around the next time I visit the place.
He had breathed heavily on my hands.. and a tender lick on my palms.
He died 15 minutes after we left.
I cried myself to sleep that night.

Bruno lived to a ripe old age and every time I think of him, I can't help but smile.
He was such a lovable and adorable old thing! :)
He was always around almost since long as I can remember.
He succumbed to a long illness today afternoon...

When Bingo (an Alsatian, the one before these two) had passed away, I don't even remember why. But I used to see his face in the clouds above and always used to cry to myself.
Now, when I heard of Bruno, I found myself staring at the green trees and crying to myself again.
I missed all the time I had with him... and thought how time changed us all.. how time took away Bruno and my child-like innocence of the yesteryear too..
I thought of all his antics and smiled.
I smiled then... with tears in my eyes.

I was with Bruno and Ishan, my crazy cousin. :)
We were having grapes and Bruno was enthusiastic as ever. I distracted the mutt with one grape while Ishan threw another in his gaping mouth. His confusion was worth seeing.
hahaha! That was our Bruno in his element.

The way he ran hysterically when in an open ground. I and Ishan let him loose and ran like crazy. He used to join us for sometime.. then made up his little mind and set off sniffing for adventures. And followed then a wild chase! :D
Trick: Run in an exactly opposite direction. Bruno will follow with full pace thinking you're up to something and then comes the time to grab him! The trick used to work.. with Bruno feeling stupid. :) Loved him!

Then in the veranda of my Mama's place, Bruno's house.
I will always miss Bruno standing on his hind legs, looking for a wet lick and lots of pats, with his mouth open and tongue hanging out. His ears tightly stretched back, he looked so damn sweet, he never failed to make us hug him.
It always looked like he was grinning wide... always.

The way he used to bark and the way he used to run. :D
He barked at people who must have seen him since he was a pup! He had his reasons.
He never barked at cats.. at least not when I was around him.
And, for his own reasons, he took an instant liking to my bro-in-law, who was a total stranger! :D

He used to run as if he is chasing the wind! Ears again pulled back and a run which resembled a peaceful trot.. only at high speed. He always looked crooked while running but then, Bruno was one unique dawg! :D

I loved to look into his eyes.
Holding his head in my hands, I used to look deep into them and speak.
Sometimes he used to listen.. sometimes he lost interest and started licking my nose. :P
Loved him.

He was 'Wedoba Brunoba'. :)
Here- 'Weda' is a lovingly used term for his doggy stupidity. :)

I feel sorry for the times I'd met him recently. He was old and a new Lab pup was running around in the house. Scooby, as we called him, was a joyful little thing too.. moreover a brat.
Bruno used to stay in his kennel whenever I visited the place.
Silent and gazing listlessly.
I talked to him but he never showed any real interest.
I regret that I found myself visiting him less frequently too.
Will I ignore the people I love if they're ill and not in the mood to play around?
But I did ignore Bruno.
I forgot that he is not made to just play and bark around.
He was ill and whether he understood or not, I should have just stayed there with him.
So what if he ain't licking me? I loved him and he did love me too.
An old dog's love, it was.

I'll miss his barks and his licks.
I'll miss how messily he used to have his food.
I'll miss his pulls on the leash.
I'll miss his cocked up ears.
I'll miss his impatience... I'll miss his wagging tail.

Most of all, I'll miss his eyes... his brown doggy eyes.
Love you Bruno.
:)

1 comment:

  1. this prose over here shows a vry senti vry adorable side of urs
    its not tht u r nt adorable otherwise....
    he he he.....

    ReplyDelete